2016 Poinsettia Elementary Spelling Bee
Thursday, March 10, 2016
in the Multi-Purpose Room
Thank you to the Sharma Family for sponsoring our bee!
GRADE LEVEL SPELLING LISTS
2016 RULES & GUIDELINES
- Spellers check in at the door of the MPR in groups of two grades.
Grades K-1 2:30
Grades 2-3 4:15
Grades 4-5 6:00
Each bee will start approximately 10 minutes after check-in, unless the previous bee runs over.
- The kids will receive a number upon check-in.They will sit on stage in number order.The kids in the next grade’s bee will be seated to the left of the stage waiting to take their place.
- There will be seating to the right of the stage for kids who have been eliminated from the competition.They can sit quietly and watch their classmates.
- The Poinsettia Spelling Bee is single elimination throughout.All spelling decisions are at the discretion of the judges. Please support them – they are volunteers.
- Keep in mind, as with every bee, there is an element of luck!
- In the first round we would like each speller to walk up to the microphone and say their name before spelling their word.After that round, each speller will come to the microphone in numerical order.
- After they come to the microphone, I will announce the word to be spelled. The speller should repeat the word, spell it, and then repeat it again.If the speller is not familiar with the word, he/she should ask me to repeat it and/or use it in a sentence.They may also ask for a definition.
- The speller has 30 seconds to spell their word.When the speller repeats the word after spelling it, I will know they have finished spelling.
- The table and floor judges determine whether or not the word was spelled correctly, or whether they have exceeded their time limit.
- When the correct spelling occurs, I will say “you are correct” and the speller will return to their seat on the stage.
- If the spelling is incorrect, I will give the correct spelling and the speller will leave the stage and sit in the chairs on the right.If in any single round everyone spells their word incorrectly, those spellers may return to the stage.
PLEASE BE COURTEOUS AND QUIET SO THE SPELLERS CAN HEAR AND CONCENTRATE
and GOOD LUCK!!!!